This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #KefirCreations
If there is one thing our family loves, it is yogurt. I remember shopping the yogurt section of the grocery store, looking for something new and delicious, when I saw a bottle of blueberry Lifeway Kefir. I had never heard of kefir before, but I read all of the health benefits on the back of the bottle and decided to give it a try. After I got home and unloaded the groceries, I gave it a try and it was oh so good. That was almost two years ago, and I have been hooked on kefir ever since. It has been especially great for me to get a quick, mess free, protein rich snack in a hurry….no spoon required! You don't know how truly important that is until you have an infant demanding your time and energy. We are expected to feed them and care for them at any moment of the day or night, but good luck finding enough time to feed yourself healthy food and get all of the protein and nutrients your body requires to feed them! Kefir has been a great solution to this problem for me!
If you're not the adventurous food type and you want to know what kefir is before trying it…just think of it as a sweet and tangy yogurt drink, the "Champagne of Dairy." Kefir originated in Eastern Europe over 2,000 years ago. It contains 12 live and active probiotic cultures that help support the digestive and immune systems. It is high in calcium and protein, as you would guess, and such a delicious way to keep your body healthy!
Hubby and I love to indulge in cheesecake, so I created a delicious Chocolate Cheesecake Fruit Dip, made with Lifeway Kefir. So it has the satisfying cheescake flavor with all of the goodness that kefir provides!
- 4 Tbsp Madagascar Vanilla Lifeway Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothie
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp coconut sugar (can be substituted with your favorite sugar)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Mix kefir and cream cheese together in a mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add in sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Serve with your favorite fruit, graham crackers, etc.
I have found that any recipe that calls for milk, buttermilk, or yogurt, kefir can be substituted instead. Keep in mind that when you cook kefir, the probiotic benefits are lost, but Lifeway Kefir is still gluten and GMO free, 99% lactose free, and never contains artificial sweeteners, which makes it a healthier option for my family. We have made banana muffins with kefir, and also this delicious Garlic Chicken with Fettuccine & Kefir Sauce:
Ingredients for Garlic Chicken:
- two chicken breasts
- garlic powder
- grapeseed oil
Directions for Garlic Chicken:
- Set oven to 400º.
- Place chicken breasts in a glass dish.
- Drizzle grapeseed oil on chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle salt and garlic powder, as much or as little as you like, over the chicken breasts.
- Cook for about an hour, until the house is filled with the smell of yummy garlic and the center is no longer pink.
Ingredients for Fettuccine and Kefir Sauce:
- one package of fettuccine
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1 cup of Plain Lifeway Kefir Cultured Lowfat Milk Smoothie
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch (optional, for thickening)
Directions for Fettuccine and Kefir Sauce:
- Cook fettuccine according to package instructions.
- Sauté purple onions in butter until they are cooked and clear.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add plain kefir, cream, salt, and pepper.
- Stir continually on medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle corn starch and stir in if your sauce is not thick enough for your liking.
- Serve sliced chicken and kefir sauce over fettuccine noodles and enjoy!
If you'd like to try kefir or stock up for your favorite recipe, sign up for money saving coupons at the Lifeway Kefir website!
How do you enjoy kefir? If you have not tried it, do you have any delicious recipes in mind to try it in?