Christmas will soon be here but until then, there is a lot of time to fill! Kids who are out for the holidays plus parents who have a lot to do to get ready for the big day means that we have to pull a few tricks out of our hats. Here is a fabulous DIY for something the kids love and can spend hours creating with! Homemade Christmas gak is perfect for preschoolers (who aren't tempted to eat stuff) all the way through adults who love to play with squishy gak. And, it can be scented to smell like Christmas with thieves oil or cinnamon spice.
- two 4 oz bottles of Elmer's school glue
- one tsp Borax
- food coloring (we used green and red, but the red only turned out pink so I abandoned it)
- warm water
- 3-4 drops of Thieves oil (I use Eden's Garden) or a few dashes of cinnamon
- Pour both bottles of glue into a bowl.
- Fill each empty bottle with warm water, shake them up to get the rest of the glue off, and then pour into the bowl with glue.
- Add food coloring. (It took a LOT of green food coloring to get the color in my picture, and like I said the red was just pink forever, so I gave up on that.)
- Fill a cup with 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Borax to the warm water (not the glue mix yet) and mix well until it is dissolved.
- Pour the Borax/water mixture to the bowl of glue/water mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Then ditch the wooden spoon and mix with your hands. Keep at it until it is all mixed well and it is all the same color.
- Let the kids have at it! Bring out cookie cutters, pizza cutters, rollers, anything to make it more fun!
- Store in a jar when done.
Notes: *The thieves oil might make it harder to mix well, but keep at it and it will turn out fine. *Remind kids to not put the Gak in their mouths and to wash their hands after playing with it. *If the kids get it on their clothes like mine did, (because doesn't everyone love to SIT on their Gak? Ugh!) just immediately pick off any that you can and rub with warm water and then wash. It came out well and didn't stain, but with the food coloring and oil, it made me a little nervous.
Homemade Christmas Gak is a great way to pass the time during snow days and would make a great, inexpensive gift or stocking stuffer!