This morning I read a post at Tales From The Nursery – Foods Of My Childhood. It's surprising how giddy I became. Maybe that means I enjoy food too much, or that I enjoyed it too much as a child….or possibly both. Either way, it was a nice walk down memory lane thinking about my favorite childhood foods.
When I think about my childhood, I remember a few distinct foods:
- Cheerios with milk and strawberries or bananas
- Bananas with peanut butter and crushed graham crackers on top
- Lucky Charms (I never could figure out why I was hungry about an hour after eating these….now I know…they're just pure sugar!! haha!)
- CInnamon toast…my mom made the best!
(photo courtesy of MorgueFile)
- Fried okra and squash
- Bologna Cups (bologna, full fat,warmed in the microwave until it sort of curled up and was super crispy on the edges and oh so delicious! Not sure if I could stomach it now, but it sure was good back then! That's the only way I would eat bologna!)
- Milkshakes. Either chocolate or Oreo cookie milkshakes. My middle bro and I would eat these while watching "Duck Tales" after school. Not healthy AT all, but still…YUM.
- Lima beans. Really. I went through a phase in high school where I would come home and eat lima beans. Not to be healthy, because I added bacon drippings to them. They were just so good!
So, there you have it. My favorite childhood foods. There are a ton more like Pizza Inn pizza, hamburgers cooked by my dad on the grill, my mom's lasagna and chicken strips, but these were the more unusual ones that stood out.
I'm not sure what my boys will say when they're older. They both eat a lot of fruit. D loves nuts, too. The Captain really loves sandwiches and of course, sweets….
What was your favorite childhood food?
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Mommy Link Up Party – Week 14 – Silly Photos - May 1, 2016
- Busy Morning? French Toast Stick Bites Breakfast Hack For The Win! - April 28, 2016
- Why Replacing Your Old Fridge Can Save You Money - April 22, 2016