I've been sitting here for awhile, trying to think of a great title for this post. "Beans, Beans, The Magical Fruit"? no….. "Beans: The Versatile Legumes"? I know beans aren't the most mouth watering thing and they get a bad rap for digestional…."issues," but they really are versatile and can be used in many delicious recipes. Black, kidney, pinto, and more….beans are good for you!
I like to grab a bag of black or pinto beans and cook them up to have on hand through the week and just store them in the fridge in glass jars. They're MUCH cheaper that way and you don't get all of the BPA from the inside of the cans. You'll know exactly what you're eating and they freeze really well, too! They're super simple to make and I don't even mess with all that soaking jazz…I just do the "quick soak" method, add some salt, and they're yummy. Baby D LOVES freshly cooked beans, just as they are. But, if you need a little more inspiration than just plain ol' beans…I've gathered a few recipes that you're sure to enjoy.
**Note: one regular sized can usually equals about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of cooked beans.**
- Spicy Casserole
- Three Bean Taco Soup
- Grace's Black Bean Pie Recipe – RuralMom.com
- Grilled Chicken With Black Beans – My Frugal Wife
- Best Black Bean Dip – Moms & Munchkins (scroll down for recipe)
- Tex Mex Lasagna – Close To Home
- Crock Pot Tortilla Soup – Close To Home
- Buildable Slow Cooker Chili – Saving More Than Me
- Taco Soup With Next-Day Soft Tacos by Wholly Guacamole – Savings in Seconds
- Refried Black Beans – Perfectly Imperfect Homemaking (she makes her beans in a pressure cooker!)
Do you have a great bean recipe to share? Link up in the comments!
Latest posts by Gena (see all)
- Three Ways To Keep Your Children Learning Over The Holidays (With Little Effort On Your Part!) - December 21, 2014
- Upgrade Your Camera In Time For Christmas at Best Buy - December 20, 2014
- Stock Up on Fig Bars for the Holidays! - December 19, 2014